December 3, 2019

Zvezda 1:100 King Tiger Ausf.B
With Henschel Turret

A closer look at the 1:100 King Tiger tank expansion for the "Art Of Tactic" strategy game made by Zvezda from Russia. This box contains a 15mm modelkit for the game, but its use is not limited for that only. As I wrote in other reviews, you could use it for any 15mm wargame which supports rules for this unit. My mate Olli and I have planned to use this as a custom unit for "TANKS".

But without any more words to spend, let us take a look at the modelkit:

Zvezdas Tiger II modelkit comes in 2 grey sprues made from the usual Zvezda material, for me it feels softer than the usual stuff which is used for modelkits, in other (p)reviews I wrote some lines about that.
The kit can be build without the use of glue, all parts fit and sit well. But you should use glue on it to strenghen all connections between the parts.

The grade of detail is ok, all tools and towropes are moulded onto the hull, and some parts are simplyfied, especially on the turret. The roadwheels are ok, but the trackdetail is minimal, a simple pattern on the outside and no detail on the inner side of it.
The choice of an opened or closed commander hatch would have been nice, but it should not be too much effort to exchange the commander hatch with a matching hatch from the bitsbox, to bad that I did not have any spare hatch.

Me and my mate Olli built some of them (for future use) and on some parts you have to use a good amount of pressure to close all gaps and make them fit.

When it was constructed and painted, it looked like this (the decals were made by Heer46):



Once again Zvezda offers a nice looking kit with the usual issues, neither decals nor a commander figure are included, and the tracks suck. But even with these issues, all in all, this is a nice kit. Remember, this is not a "true" scale model kit, it is just a piece for a strategy game.

This kit offers a good alternative to the resin Tiger II tank from Battlefront Miniatures. As far as I know, this is the only 1:100 hardplastic King Tiger kit available on the market.
The price of it is the same as for most "Age Of Tactic" 1:100 tank kits, for approximately 4 Euros you can get the Zvezda King Tiger.

Next Thursday we will take another close look at a 1:100 Zvezda kit, then we will see a Soviet or US tank.

Update:
Today I found some time for my blog and decided that this closer look can go online now and not tonight. By the way, I am going to add the latest reviews to the reviewlist. And I changed the time for upcoming autopublished reviews, instead of 22:30 (too late) they will come at 20:00.
I am still not sure if I find some time for "real" content this week, but I am aiming for the weekend to write some lines about my Revell airbrush odyssey.

No comments: