June 14, 2018

Just Ranting,
WTF Is Rügen'46 ?

I was asked by a friend about all this Apemutation-Zombie-Sassnitz stuff, and here they are, the roots of Rügen'46...

Last year I painted some nazizombies (see this post) while my mate Olli was working on his tanks. Do not ask why I built them, maybe I watched "Dead Snow" or some shit like it before. It was our first modelling session, happening on a Monday, since then we call ourselves ironically Montagsmaler, even when we never met on Monday again.
While painting we were talking about this and that, and my blog was one of the topics. I had not posted for more than six years for several reasons.

Maybe now should be the right time to continue posting, I restarted modellbuilding almost a year ago from that. And the zombies which I was painting could be a nice start.

We were talking about the minis and I gave Olli a small overview of this "What if..." weird World War Two concept, showing him Heer46, Conflict47, Dust, and stuff like that.
And soon we were joking about the ridiculousness of all this stuff, remembering weird movies like "Oasis Of The Living Dead" from our youth or wackos believing in stuff like "Die Glocke" and all that weird shit. Yes, naziscum sucks.

But a restart of the blog, would mean that I wanted a "stylish" label for all this www2 stuff, and I can not remember who of us said it first but suddenly the words Rügen Sechsunvierzig appeared which were worth some good laughs.
I think it was "Rügen Sechsundvierzig, die letzte Bastion", what made me spill my drink over the desk in a heavy laughing attack.

As you can see, I continued this blog. I made some years pause with modelling, but at this time I restarted to build models at least for a year. It is still a nice compensation after a stressfull day at work.

Time went by and some more Rügen'46 posts appeared, but I had still no use for all this stuff. To be honest, I do not have any displays for my finished models, I just store them in boxes. And I am not much in wargaming except for a game of tanks once a month.
I just like the figures.

But then I found this blog, stole shameless some ideas, and suddenly it all made sense. I would host a small gaming session at my birthday party. Just like the people at X-acto Science have done before.

Knowing that this would be a hard task, since Olli is the only friend of mine who is interested in tabletop gaming, I had to give it a nice feel and look that my other friends would not be too annoyed by it. Now it are only some weeks to go, and I revealed my plans to all of them, at least they may be prepared of the things to come.

Finding a ruleset "for dummies" was easy, we are going to play a heavyly modified (dumbed down) version of "Combat Zone", some years ago I picked up an English starter from EM4, a year later I got the German version from the bay and the rules are not too complicated for beginners.
But I know I have to dumb them down, experiences from our 2vs2 game of TANKS clearly showed one thing, don't drink and drive.

Finding a good background story was not a problem too, as you have read above, I will take my www2 stuff, write a simple background story and design some factions. And this went well.

Just to give you a plain overview, the world of Rügen'46 is totally screwed up.
Things went as known until the spring of 1946 when something happened at Sassnitz on the island of Rügen. From this point everything changed. The western allies flew from the continent, only appearing as merceneries in the troops of the remaining forces who survived the incident. Ressources are rare, the dead arised, strange things were invented, and an unexpected enemy rises again.

Since I do not want to spoil it for my friends, for more detailed informations about the background and groups of the Rügen'46 universe you will have to wait, it will comesooner or later.

In the meantime I will continue my work on this project, most of the modelling work is done now the paperwork is next. 

No comments: