March 11, 2019

1:100 Helicopters
for
TANKS The Modern Age

Some pictures of the 1:100 helicopters I (almost) finished for use in "TANKS The Modern Age". Since I am not satisfied with the Battlefront models of these helis, a closer look at them will come soon, I am using 1:100 "true" model kits.

First I finished the Revell 1:100 Mi-24 Hind, a closer look at this kit will come in the near future. The building of the rotor was a small struggle but finally all parts fitted as desired. While I built this kit some smaller parts disappeared but I did not care about it since it may not get noticed and this heli is for gaming use only.

Both helicopter models were painted with Revell Aquacolors, the most work was done using my airbrush.

The camouflage pattern was created with liquid masking solution, using Sand and Fern Green. The bottom was sprayed Torquoise toned down with a minor amount of White. Before the model got an oilwash, it was sealed with a layer of clear gloss paint, this picture was made when I did it.
Some decals went to the sparebook, after the rest of them were set, the whole model was sealed with matte varnish, then I removed the tape from the cockpit, which was masked the whole painting process. The cockpit panels were painted and sealed by hand, but I am not too happy with the results.

The rotor was magnetized, I glued a screw in the body and a magnet on the rotor. This works fine and makes storing this model much easier.

The other helicopter kit I finished for the game was the Revell 1:100 Cobra, which got a closer look in this post.

This kit was built without any complications, then the canopy was painted black inside, glued in and masked, then the model got primed. For the basecolor I used Olivegreen, than the heli got a black wash with thinned oil paints. This darkened the basecoat too much, and I sprayed a very thin layer of Greenish Grey over the kit. Then came the usual procedure, glosscoat, decals, varnish. Too bad, the varnish got a little milky but it is not as worse as it seems on the pictures, at least the rotors will be repainted.
The canopy was painted by hand after the maskingtape was removed but I will repaint it soon with a better matching color, this should be done to the Hind too.

I still have to magnetize the rotor using superglue a screw and a magnet. At the moment it is only plugged in. I should have this earlier, the paintjob may get damaged because I have to widen the opening in the body.

As final step both model got the flyer bases which were included in the heli expansion boxes for "TANKS The Modern Age", I drilled a 6mm hole in the bottoms of the helis, after some little sanding of the base insert, it was glued in.

Both kits are ok, but I think I could have done better. Since I still have a Revell Cobra and 2 Revell Hind kits unbuild in my stash, I will try harder next time.

But not only I am building my helicopter forces, my mate Olli finished a BO-105 PAH, see how tiny this thing is, comparded to the Soviet Hind gunship.


I am taking some time to reorganise the postlabels of this blog, then one of the next posts may lead us into the ruins of the undead infested Sassnitz.

No comments: