November 19, 2019

Plastic Soldier Company
1:100 Leopard 1

A closer look at the Plastic Soldier Company 15mm Leopard 1 tank kit. As I wrote in the previous post, the PSC offers a growing range of 15 and 20mm tanks and other vehicles for ww2 and cold war wargames.
This is the third of their (at least for now) available 3 post-ww2 tanks. I already showed the US M-60 and the Soviet T-55 in other posts. Their official homepage lists more stuff coming soon, Brueckenkopf.de has some pictures of new modern stuff, you can find them here.

After that small introduction let us take a look at the model kit, which comes from the stash of my mate Olli:
 
The Leopard 1 comes in one sprue of the usual gray plastic which the PSC normally uses. As I wrote in the previous post, this stuff feels minimal softer than the styrene other companies use.

I saw that sprue only for a moment, but I do not remember any flaws with it. I think there were some mouldlines to remove but this is the case with almost any other model kit. The pictures show no flash and possible sinkholes should not be seen when it is constructed.
Except for the simplified tracks, the detail in general is good.

A very nice feature is the choice to have the driver and both turret hatches opened or closed, this is very nice because the PSC offers 3 tank crew figures with this kit for this. And that is not all, the kit offers the choice, either to build the German A3 or A4 version or you can also choose the Canadian C1 variant of this tank.

In general I would recommend this kit, even when I did not build it for myself, the general impression is fine. The choice of opened or closed hatches and the addition of 3 commander figures is a big plus.
My mate olli got a single sprue of this tank in which neither an instruction (can easily be found on the web) nor decals were included, I can not say if decals are included in the big box.
The overall price for this kit, as for most single PSC kits, is arround 5 Euros for a single tank and 20 to 25 Euros for a pack of 5.

If I remember correctly, my mate Olli had no issues building this kit while a past roguish Montagsmaler session, I think his w.i.p. tank looks fine, the basecoat is Revell Aquacolor Bronze Green, but do not ask which other colors he used.

Tomorrow I will take the opportunity to compare this thing to the Battlefront Miniatures Leopard 1 modelkit, as long I have some of his tanks here. Then we will see what differences there are and which of both kits I would prefer. Maybe I will add a picture of my modified Zvezda Abrams, my modifications got better than I tought they would get.

No comments: