June 18, 2018

Reworking Some Old
28mm Amera Ruins

Some weeks ago I started to rework my Amera ruins, which I built some years ago. I was never really satisfied by the results of the paintjob I did that time.
The British manufacturer Amera Mouldings offers vacformed polystyrene ruins and other stuff in different scales for a fair price, but the building is tricky, once you got it built you would have to reinforce the parts because the whole construction offerered various weaknesses. And the parts lack of fine details, maybe that is the reason for the pricing.

This is (almost) how the ruin looked before I spent some work on it. First I painted the walls with a random green tone. I have no picture of the original color of the wall, but it was like it was on the other two ruins in this post.

I added some edges which got sanded I also added some pieces of cork. Then I glued sand on some of the ledges of the windows.
Spots where the walls got damaged got some grey just as the edges of the walls.

The next step was adding some colors. First I drybrushed the outer walls. Then I followed this tutorial and added smokestains with my airbrush to the give the building a burntout look. I did this for the inside too, and then the whole ruin was sealed with a heavy coat of matte varnish to save the paint from damages.

The next step was too add some color to the ground. I choosed brown to match the bases of my minis.

Now came the steps I did not do pictures of, but after the brown dried, I applied a selfmade black wash, and when that was dry I drybrushed all brown parts with beige, followed by another strong sealing coat of matte varnish.
The last step was to add some flock and gras. I mixed woodglue with matte varnish and it had no glossy finish when it dried. I do not know where I got this tip, but it works.
After that a last heavy layer of matte varnish was applied to give the flock stronger bond.

And now it looks like this...

 


The rope is made of wire to give the players access tho the upper levels of the ruins.

I am very satisfied with the results, it looks great. Just as the two ruins I already finished.
Here is like they looked before...


And after some work they looked like this...

 
Rebuilt just as the other ruin. The boards on the windows of the smaller ruin are popsicle sticks. I added some heavy texture with a ballpen to it. Everything else was done just like at the other ruined building except for that I used an other beige for drybrushing the ground, but the does not matter.

I am pretty happy that this turned out so well. The next three ruins are prepared to get painted, I would like to do that now, but I do not know how loud my compressor is for neighbours.

Maybe I will finish them tomorrow after work, that would mean I would have to visit my hobbystore before to get more supplies, but my airbrush and my trusty hairdryer will save a lot of time.

2 comments:

Großmeister Olli said...

Sieht verdammt gut aus

Captain said...

Hehe, ja mann, aber du hast die ja auch schon bei mir gesehen. Drei weitere sind fertig, mal sehen, wann ich darüber poste.