February 13, 2019

Revell 1:100
AH-64A Apache

A closer look at the AH-64A Apache attack helicopter by Revell, made in 1:100 scale. I got it from my local model supplier as most of my 1:100 helicopter kits.

This kit appeared 1990 for the first time, this version is the 2016 reissue. And there exists a quickbuild 1:100 Apache, also produced by Revell, but I can not say if this kit is the base for it.


The two sprues of the kit are produced very well with no visible ejectormarkings or sinkholes. The amount of flash is almost zero. Also there should be almost no mouldlines to remove when it will be build.
If I had not two already started helicopters and a big pile of other started stuff, I would already have built i, but this kit must wait.

The clear plastic sprue contains the canopy, it is pretty thin and does not distort the view too much when you look through it.
And this brings up the big minuspoint of this and the three more Revell 1:100 helicopter kits I own, there are no crewfigures. There is a nice cockpit clearpart but no crew that could be seen through it. Even when there are alternatives, I think this sucks.

The last missing bit are the decals. As usual they come in good quality but offer only one version to build from, an Apache of the 3/227th Aviation Regiment, stationed in Hanau, Germany 1988. This would fit pretty well in the "TANKS The Modern Age" scenario.

All in all a nice kit. As written, the only negative point for me is the absence of crewmembers. I am no aviation expert, but after a quick websearch I think this kit is accurate. Or at least accurate enough for me.

I think I may create a custom card to use it as a proxy unit for the US Cobra helicopter, it will get its own post, when it is ready. At the moment I am working on ways to optimize my custom cards, but this goes on pretty slow.

No comments: