May 24, 2019

15mm 3D Printed Gepard
and some updated posts

As I mentioned in a previous post, I think the more choices for platoonbuilding in "TANKS The Modern Age" you have, the more flexible you can create your platoonlist.

The choices for AntiAir units are limited (*) to (as I call them) support units with no armour and low hitpoints. Using  the "Camouflage Net" upgrade, combined with "Scout" or "Hammerhead" abilities may give some basic defense, with no speedpoints this are at least 3 dice to defend and missiles will not be affected by their special rules.
But all in all, the available AA units are very weak.

(*): There is at least one exception, but I will keep this for a future post.

This is the reason why my mate Olli mentioned that it would be nice to have armoured AA units. Said and done, I headed to Thingiverse and after a quick search I found this German Gepard AA tank.
I think the hull took 4 hours and the turret parts were printed in 2 hours.

The turret came in 5 parts, of which you can see only 4. The parts were roughly cleaned on the picture above, but I still had to remove the launcher tubes attached to the guns. As I understood, these were equipped in the beginning of the 21st century and would not fit in our late 80ies/early 90ies game setting. And without, this tank would look better.

In the background you can see the AMX-30 Roland turret, another custom unit which still has to be created as also the Gepards unit card. We still have to figure out the values and costs for these units since it may get too easy to make them over- or underpowered.
When we have found some good schemes for point costs and etc, heavy AA units for the other nations will follow too, or at least the British and Soviet forces may get some. I still have not found this type of unit for the US troops, but at least I will make the HMMWV Avanger available as option.

Both turrets side by side. The Gepard turret still needs some filling and sanding but it is remarkable in its shape. The Roland turret is ready to get painted, but this will have to wait until its comrades will have arrived at the homefront.

I magnetized the tankhull and turret using a screw and a magnet. I glued the magnet in the opening for the turret and turned a screw in the bottom of the turret. This way you can simply adjust the point where both parts meet.

Since the US and German tanks have the same NATO colorschemes, I want something different for the new platoon. I have planned to paint the French tanks in a (probably, but I do not care) historic inaccurate multiscale camouflage pattern with desert colors, using a set of 3 stencils which I downloaded from Thingiverse and printed on our Anet A8.

I hope this will work as proposed, especially the big turret of the AMX AUF1 artillery tank would look nice in this digital camouflage pattern. Unluckily, I took a picture of the only stencil which will need some cleanup.

Today Olli started to paint the Flakpanzer Gepard as you can see on the first picture of the post. There is still some color and the sealing varnish to do, but at distance this thing already looks very good.
A custom unit card for this tanks will follow soon.

(update: I forgot to add a picture of the unpainted tank, this was done as you can see below)


Some words on the blog update:
I made some better pictures and replaced some of the old in the "TANKS The Modern Age" stuff, which got a closer look  in some previous posts.
At the moment the starterbox and the expansions for the PAH, Marder, Abrams and T-72 got some new pictures. Tomorrow I will exchange some pictures from the closer looks at the BMP-1/2, M163/M901, Hind and Cobra expansions for the game.

And I will take the oppurtunity to make new pictures for the earlier "Faces Of War" postings, the quality of the actual pictures is simply bad.
I may split the earlier posts and preserve the leftover pictures for future posts, following the parole quality not quantity.

No comments: