January 18, 2019

TANKS The Modern Age:
Custom Unit #1

While I was browsing through the units of "TANKS The Modern Age", I noticed that the French army is the only one which can use artillery units. This brought up the idea to create a custom artillery unit, based on the values from the French unit, for the other armies of the game.

For the new custom unit I choosed a kit of Zvezdas "Hot War - Battle For Oil" range which offers some nice potential gaming pieces. The American side will get the M109 selfpropelled Howitzer, on which I took a closer look in this post

I found this template but decided against it and made my own template card from scratch. Of course I used a picture of the kit which I built. Even for an low experienced software user like me it was possible to do, using only MS Paint and Paint.net. The only problem was to find a fonttype which is readable at lower sizes.

The other minor problem was the scaling of the card. The template I created while I wrote this post was too big, because I mismatched the lenght of the card. But this was fixed.
The final card as seen on the picture is a little too small, but this happened because I forgot the autosizing of the printing software which my local copyshop uses. The card itself is in the right measurement.

The M109 with its comrades, I hope it will meet its expectations.

Now no more words, here are the new custom cards for "TANKS The Modern Age". At the moment I will offer them as uncompressed bitmap only, just rightclick and save them.

UPDATE:
A remade card is now available in PDF, just follow this link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XVljlYe99oMufFm9zYUMShzp3MgoXtnP/view?usp=sharing


This is Version 1.0
The final version will be released as PDF file.

There are 3 possible ways to print the cards, you can use your homeprinter if you own one. If you choose to print the files at home, you may setup a textdocument with the files and export it as PDF before.

The second method is to go to the local copyshop and let them get printed there, that is what I did.

The third method is to go to your local drugstore, it may offer to make prints from your digital photos. This was tried also, I have to change one or two things on the card, and then I can try to print them on glossy or matte photopaper.
On the second picture of the post, prints fom the copyshop (2,4) and photoprints (1,3) are shown, I prefer the photographs.

I never thought about the possibilities of photo printing services, this may get a seperate post in the future, maybe when I will design the next custom unit, this time the Soviets will get their artillery unit.

No comments: