August 15, 2019

Zvezda 1:100 KV-2

A closer look at the Soviet KV-2 1:100 model kit by Russian producer Zvezda. This model belongs to Zvezdas "Art Of Tactic" wargame. A a lot of tankmodels in 15mm scale are available for this game, but the level of detail and the general look of the models from that range, as also from their other wargame "Hot War  - Battle For Oil", is not always the best.

Let us take a look at the plastic to get a clue about this:


The kit comes in 2 green sprues with all parts included to build a KV-2 tank model. Basically I could copy-paste most segments from the closer look at the KV-1 Mod.1941 in the previous post, this kit is generally good but should have better tracks.
There are some mouldlines to remove but except for that, I see no issues with this kit. Building it may be tricky, but while I built this kit, everything went fine. I like the way how Zvezda solved the barrel, but the piece for the barrel tip was hard to clean from any residue.

As also for the KV-1, I only checked the dimensions of the hull, 67,8x33,5mm, and compared to Wikipedias data of 6,75 x 3,32 meters, the difference is minimal and this fits in scale.

Everything fine except for the tracks which are pretty basic and lack of greater detail.
By the way, this kit uses the same hull and track parts as the KV-1 Mod.1941 which I reviewed in the last post, and I would say, that the same 4 parts are used on the KV-1 Mod.1940 too, you may look for yourself in this review at Modellingmadness.com.

All in all, this is a nice kit, which was built pretty fast without issues. I painted it the same way than the KV-1, and for the two on the picture below, I had to take decals from the sparebook, since Zvezda does not include decals in their "Art Of Tactic" 1:100 tanks expansion.

You can see the result below, 2 KV-2 are finished out of the box and they look fine. I got them to have a chance against future custom units, since there are some big kitten on the way, but I still have to order decals for them.
Since the KV-2 will become a custom unit for "TANKS", you may expect its unitcard after the weekend.

No comments: