August 6, 2019

Zvezda 1:100 T-72B

A closer look at the 1:100 T-72B modelkit from Zvezda. This Russian producer not only makes scalemodelkits, also it has several ranges of wargames with mostly 1:100 models, but their grade of detail differs from kit to kit.
This kit comes from Zvezdas "Hot War - Battle for Oil" wargame, but I will use it as proxie unit for "TANKS The Modern Age".

I like the design of this tank with its reactive armour, and when I got the chance to get one of those for a reasonable price, I took the opportunity to get it, but no further words, let us take a look at the model kit:


This kit comes in 2 green sprues, containing 14 parts, the flagpiece excluded, to complete the model. All parts are nicely sculpted and casted, I did not find any sinkholes or visible ejectormarks on the sprues. There is no flash, but you have at least to remove the mouldline of the one-piece turret.

But since the used plastic is not as soft as the stuff they use for their for "Art Of Tactics" range, this should be no problem.
This kit can be built without using glue, the fit of the parts is very good. When I built it I was sceptical how the sideskirts would fit, but the fit is excellent, even when sometimes some pressure was needed.

Beside the included instruction leaflet, finally there is the decalsheet of this box. Seems that there is a third set of generic Soviet turret numbers for "Hot War" model kits.
For future reviews I call these decals "type 3", this is now "type 1" while this is "type 2".
Suspecting the same quality than other Zvezda decals, these should be fine.

On the left side you see the built Zvezda T-72B compared to the plastic T-72 from the "Team Yankee" range of Battlefront Miniatures. While the general shape of them is pretty equal, the main difference is the reactive armour of the Zvezda Model.
And while I am at the details of this modelkit, the boxart shows a different version of the T-72B, it was taken from Zvezdas 1:35 kit of this tank.

This is one of the better Zvezda 1:100 kits. A nice amount of details and a sharp casting make this kit very nice. Building this kit should go on pretty fast, even whithout glue, the parts fit and sit very well, and the result is a nice looking Soviet cold war tank

The tracks could have some better detail and the addition of an AA machine gun would be nice, but I recommend this kit beside that minor points. 
There is always the possiblity to add some bits to improve this kit, on this Tank I added the leftover mineplows from my other T-72 and an AA gun which was taken from the bitsbox.

Todays modelling session was successful, beside all that modelmaking, in D.I.Y. tradition I built a handy tool, but at the moment I can not find a matching power source.
Maybe it would be better if I would not find one.


Update:
I almost finished the model, there is only some dirt to be added, just watch the picture below:


No comments: